Madrid Yearly Review for 2024

7 June, 2024

On May 30, 2024, the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) shared the Madrid Yearly Review 2024, an annual report presenting statistics and analysis on international applications, registrations, renewals, and designations, with this edition focusing on subsequent designations made under the Madrid System.

Under this system, subsequent designations allow the holder of an international registration to extend the geographical scope of protection of an existing international registration by filing a subsequent designation, i.e., by adding one or more jurisdictions.

The report shares relevant general information on the use of the Madrid System, such as the addition of a new member country in 2023, the Republic of Mauritius, bringing the total number of members to 115, representing 131 countries. In addition, subsequent designations in the international registers in 2023 increased by 8.8% over the previous year, reaching a total of 64,335.

Finally, the report reveals key information on Colombia’s participation in this international registry system. Colombia became a member of the Madrid Protocol in 2012. Among all subsequent designations received by Colombia, 44% originated from international registrations made prior to its entry into the Protocol, while the remaining 56% were associated with international registrations submitted after 2012, the year in which Colombia acceded to the Madrid Protocol.

Categories

Archive

Archives

Categories

Archive

Archives